Saturday, November 14, 2009

DEDICATION AND LOVE

Me and my baby sis Kaycee..who gets her incredible wit and personality from me...lol

Me and my main man Grandpa Pete. I love my Grandpa sooo much! He has the best stories of anyone I have EVER known, and is an inspiration in so many ways!

Standing room only...Grandpa with the Jays line up. Big loss for the Jays..big win for the road trippers!


At Arby's after the game...I spilled some sauce and I swear there were NO napkins anywhere, so Grandpa was trying to scoop it into a cup. He's the cutest!
The ultimate road trip:
So Grandma Judy called me up on Thursday..maybe Wednesday to ask me if I could take Grandpa to what could quit possibly be the last Jays game of the season. My first thought was "oh goodness, I am not a fan of long drives, night time driving, I am supposed to have Brock and not a huge fan of cold football games. The second thought that came to mind was "I would do ANYTHING for my grandpa", so my answer was of course YES...where do I sign! Then I thought, what a great opportunity for my mom and Kaycee to join in the fun that we were most certainly going to have, and the planner (me) did her thing. I was off work with Brock on Friday because of Parent-Teacher conferences (more of that later) and him and I had a wonderful day together, to be topped off with a short visit to the Grandparents where his daddy would pick him up after work. Savannah had her friend Abby over to stay at the grandparents, and I loaded everyone up and off we set to STL. The drive up was relatively uneventful and pleasurable, until we hit traffic and unfamiliar roads and my granny like reaction and panic set in. Mom had to take over once in STL and I needed the nearest gas station FAST for a cigarette refill. We got to the parking lot about 5 min till game time and hopped on the shuttle in the nick of time. Once there it was painfully obvious that sitting was not to be an option. No worries, we were with Mr. Optimistic himself, and if he didn't complain with bad knees, us girls had no right to..right? The game went swiftly, but unfortunately not in our favor. Those boys could have pulled it together better..but De Smet is a pretty tight team. Hopefully the Jays will come back with another Adkins like streak that we can all be proud of again. No matter though, Mr. Pete Walz has not missed even 1 home or away game since he played for the Jays and was a STAR! That type of dedication is one of the MANY things I admire about this man. A man who probably has no idea how many virtues he has passed along, because one of those virtues is humbleness..which leaves one blind to selfish accomplishments. The drive back we had great conversation and some debates while the teen girls slept, probably dreaming of some of the boys they pretended to ignore at the game. I pulled up to Grandpa's house a little after midnight, told him I loved him, and headed home with a heavy heart...full of of that warm fuzzy stuff that makes you so thankful for the ones you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment